Thursday, April 7, 2011

Life is Good in Panama- First trip to Pedasi

"So I conclude that there is nothing better for people then to be happy and to enjoy themselves as long as they can."  Ecclesiastes 3:12

I did borrow the above verse from a friend's blog...I hope you don't mind :)  I think it's great! 

I think it's time to begin writing about my time here.  Many people have been interested in what I do here and my life while I've been in Panama.

First, let me explain to you how I landed this amazing opportunity.  It was about mid-March 2010 and I was about to walk out the door for my job.  I was teaching first grade in a county that was having some troubles and was finding myself very unhappy.  I'm just going to put it out there and say that I was unhappy in many ways and in many aspects of my life including job, relationship, past relationships, just life in general.  I was stuck in a rut and needed a saving grace.

I was grabbing my coat to put on to go warm up my car, which I don't like to do anyway, and my Mom comes up getting ready to tell me bye.  She says, "I went on Craigslist (her first time ever on it) last night and saw an interesting post."  I snapped (because I used to not be a very happy camper in the morning) back with, "Why were you on Craigslist" and something that was probably along the lines of I don't really want to hear this right now.  (Sorry Mom for being so angry with you in the am.)  She then began to tell me about a post that she saw that was looking for a private teacher/nanny at the beach.  I asked where and she responded with Panama.  I said, "I don't really know if that's what I want to do and you have to be careful with things like that because they are fake.  I'll think about it."  I told her bye and went to work.  Needless to say, it weighed heavy on me for a few days so I decided to email the person listed on the post to see if it was true.  My motto is...You should always put something out there because the worst thing you are going to hear is no.  :)

So after a few long days of thought, I sent an email explaining that I was a certified teacher and was interested in the position, along with my resume.  I got a very lengthy response back from Leslie (the mom) who wrote all about her family, the area that they live, and why they were there.  I was very impressed and began to ask questions.  She then sent me a list of questions to answer and then after that we did a web cam interview.  I was so excited to have something on my plate other than my usual routine of driving to work, coming home and not being happy.  Long story short, I was offered the position and took a leap of faith.  I was so nervous excited anxious to be relocating to a place and with a family I was unsure of, but I knew that God had put me in this place for a reason.

It has been one of the best experiences in my life and I am so proud to say that by listening to my Mom and taking a step out of "normality" I have found the person that I have been missing for so long...the real me!  :)  I know my friends and family are happy to have me back as well.    

I arrived in Panama and the dad of the family and the two boys were with him.  They see me, yell my name, and proceed to run up to hug me.  :)  I knew right then and there that I was going to be okay.  We started school around mid-August.  A usual day includes me getting up around 6 heading to the gym, coming home cooking breakfast for me and sometimes the kids, getting teeth brushed and then getting the kids to their areas for school at 8.  Their areas include the dining room table, a desk, and the living room table.  The kids have to be separated or it can be WWIII (there is a reason why siblings should never be in the same class).  The kids then are enthralled by their DVDs which have a teacher in a classroom setting teaching the class being videoed.  I will organize their materials for them and have them ready when they are needed.  I then fix snack for them around 10 and back to more school.  I then fix lunch around 12 and the kids are usually done by then if not by 1.  I will then read, do flash cards, check work, etc.  We then get ready and head to the beach or pool.  Sounds hard huh?  The hardest part...I'm away from family and friends, and those are two of the most important things to me.  Being away from them has taught me to NEVER take for granted how easy it is to spend time and see them.  :)

I had probably been there for about a three weeks when the family decided for us to go to a place named Pedasi (if you look on the map of Panama that was posted in the first post you can see where the town is).  I was excited to be getting out of the gated beach community we live in and adventure around Panama.  I had no idea what to expect, or where we were staying, anything.  I was just along for the ride!  We ended up at this place named El Sitio, which is the hippiest, earthiest place I have ever been.  This hotel/hostel is a surfer's haven and I looked out into the water and saw about 40 people out surfing in the waves.  I had never seen anything like this before.  We go to the huge bohio (which is just a big covered area) and order some food.
Here is the bohio where the restaurant is...it is a thatched roof hang out spot. (Sorry so small)

Our waitress was a beautiful girl from Argentina that was there with her boyfriend trying to earn a little bit of money because they wanted to make their way to California to surf.  They were stopping along the way at hostels to stay a few days and surf.  I was just amazed at their story.  It was so amazing to hear people living the life they wanted to live.  It may not be the most glamorous or popular thing to do, but they are doing it for them.  That just makes me so happy inside.  I feel that there are so many people, especially in the States, that are living lives not for them but for others.  I understand the choices that people make lead the way to kids and families that have to be supported, but I feel that people don't live their life before these things are done.  Off of that soap box...  :)

Hermies...they are kind of hard to see, but they are there.
 This picture is my background...I love the sea spray coming off of the waves.  Good for the sinuses too!
 I just loved this sign.  It is exactly how I see the hotel. So simple.
Enjoying the bohio area and the beach.  Just close your eyes and imagine what it sounds like...beautiful!
 The one lone tree on the entire beach. 
Surfers in the water...soaking up the sun and waves!

The kiddos and I ended up staying in these surfer bunks with an open bathroom area and four bunk beds.  It turned out to be a great weekend and one that I will never forget.  It was full of surfer observing, hermit crab watching (which covered the beach), learning to surf and bogey board, relaxing times.  I was pleasently surprised to learn that we would be going back there many times within the next 6 months which you will get to read about in a later posting.

I hope everyone has had a Terrific Thursday and I look forward to posting again tomorrow!  Wish me luck in the morning with M&S tickets...they go on sale at 9 my time!  :)  Ciao! (Which means "bye" in Spanish)

2 comments:

  1. Nic, I think the whole blogging thing is really awesome! Love your page and I actually sat here and read everything you had written. Love you and miss you! P.S. You're soo cool! ~I mean that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mer!! I miss you soooo much and I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading the whole thing! Can't wait to see you when I get back! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate everyone taking the time and visiting and reading my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. But if you have nothing nice to say, please don't say anything at all.