Thursday, May 26, 2011

Can't believe it...

Happy Thursday everyone!!  I hope everyone is having a great week!  I CAN NOT believe I will be coming home next week!  It has been such an amazing 10 months living abroad, but I am definitely excited about coming home and being with all of my family and friends and hopefully getting back into the classroom teaching again! 

We have had an interesting, to say the least, week.  Last Wednesday, at around 1:30 in the afternoon, the power went out.  This happens all the time due to the construction that's been going on with more condos and the golf course that they are building here in the community.  If it's not the electricity that goes out then it is the water, and the water usually conveniently goes out around 7:30 in the morning after I get back from the gym.  :) That's another story though...anyway, so the power goes out and we think it will come back on sometime later in the afternoon.  We decided to go and hang out at the Casa Club (the beach club) and there was a HUGE surge of water that came with high tide.  This was the highest they have ever seen it come up and I took and some pics.






 At the Casa Club...this patio area is where chairs are usually laid out.





 This is a different area of the beach...what we call the Bohios (you can see them in the distance)...

 The water was coming up over the road and pouring into the lake.  Amazing!


So with the excitement of the high tides and still no power when we got back to the house around 6 o'clock, we wanted to make sure we had all gotten showers before there would be no lights after sunset at 6:30.  We ended up taking showers, eating dinner, and then heading over to the hotel to get some dessert (YUM!) and hang out because the hotel runs on a generator and it wasn't much fun walking around the house with candles not being able to do anything.  We came back home to a dark house and slept through the night.  On Thursday, there was still no sign of electricity.  We ended up doing a little school until all the DVD players died and couldn't be recharged.  So we ended up going to the pool for the rest of the afternoon in hopes that the power would be on when we returned later that afternoon...NO SUCH LUCK.  (The funny thing about all of this is whenever we would talk with someone about the outages, they would tell us that it would only be three more hours until it would get turned back on.)  HAHA!!! Yeah, right!  More like around 48 hours!!  So we ended up going back to the hotel for more dessert...haha!!  And then the manager of the hotel ended up offering us a complimentary nights stay at the hotel.  We took that offer up and had a FABULOUS nights sleep!!  Another interesting point to make is that I have not had air conditioning in my room the entire time I've been here in Panama and it was so nice to have a room around 67 degrees when we stayed at the hotel and being able to get on the internet while lying in bed!!  :)  So on Friday morning, after our amazing complementary breakfast, we decided to head to the other beach house in Pedasi.  We came back to the house to gather our belongings and low and behold...the power was back on!!  :)  We ended up leaving anyway and had a great time out in Pedasi (that would be my last trip out there)!

I had promised you guys pictures of our amazing walks in Pedasi and I took a few.  The day that I took my camera with us on our walk it decided to rain.  You won't be able to get the full effect of the views but trust me they are the most spectacular views I have ever seen!




 This is just to show you the rocks we have to climb.  So fun!



 We always walk at low tide because we like to pick up shells.  High tide covers all of this area. 

So beautiful!

 Sponge on the rocks...

We usually climb up the hill you see leading up to the cliff area, but we decided to climb on the rocks to another beach area.


We found this cave...this was really cool, but I was afraid a snake would come and get me!

I am not sure if I have mentioned the howler monkey's that are around the house in Pedasi, but there is one monkey that has been around ever since the house was being built.  He found himself a girlfriend and now there are two howler monkey's. :)  They make the most unique sound and are VERY loud at around 6 in the morning!  Here is a picture of just one them...this guy was hanging out in a tree behind the house.  He was literally on his back lying in the tree, but then he spotted me trying to take a picture and got up.  :(  I was sad I disturbed him, but wanted to get a picture of him.  So cool!

Howler Monkey!

Hope you enjoyed reading and looking at all the pics!  It's still so crazy to me I only have one more week of living in Panama and then it's back to Sharpsburg, GA!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate everyone taking the time and visiting and reading my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. But if you have nothing nice to say, please don't say anything at all.